You know what? It doesn’t have to be this way!
You can decide to press pause right now. To shift gears and live your life however you please.
Stop racing down that path you’re on when you know full well that whatever is at the end of it is a million miles away from where you want to be.
Finding your feet
A few years back, I started feeling like I was on the wrong path myself. Maybe I’d wandered off the right one. Or maybe I hadn’t even found it yet.
I kept telling myself that in time, it would all fall into place, that all the things I had dreamt of would eventually work their way into my life.
And it wasn’t a bad life either – I had a home, a family, a job – I wasn’t desperately unhappy, I just didn’t really feel like I was giving it my all.
I started to feel more like a spectator in my life rather than an active participant, like I was watching it all play out in a movie. And not one of the great ones, but those ones you get to the end of and feel a bit underwhelmed, like you just wasted a couple of precious hours…
“Meh, it was ok I guess.”
Except this isn’t a couple of hours, THIS IS LIFE. You don’t want to get to the end of it and feel like you didn’t even try.
Like so many other things in life, big changes happen when you decide that they will.
As a family, we decided that we wanted to live differently and so we started just trying things.
Really, nothing is irreversible, so we went into it with the philosophy that if we tried something and it didn’t work out, we’d just try something else.
When I look back now at how things used to be I am overjoyed at the decisions we have made:
- We started living. Really living. The way we wanted to, by prioritising what was important to us.
- We slowed down and started making intentional, authentic choices which reflected us and our beliefs.
- We down-sized our home and possessions, opting to move into a static caravan & choose experiences over things.
- We converted a minibus into a camper van so that we could really get out and explore our surroundings.
- We started building our own businesses so that we could have more freedom & control over the lives we wanted to live.
- We started home educating our 2 children so that they could fully immerse themselves in the wonders the world has to offer at an early age.
- Now we are saving up and making plans to buy a narrowboat and create our first floating home.
Do we always get it right? No! Are we still learning on our feet? Yes! But as a family we have never been happier and we haven’t looked back.
So now it’s your turn!